How do I live the Christian life?
- Now that we are born again, we have the life of God dwelling within us.
- We have become one with Him.
- Galatians 2:20, “I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the lifewhich I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.”
I have been crucified with Christ
- When the Lord tells us we are crucified with Christ what does he mean?
- The below scripture is the first place ‘crucifying yourself’ mentioned.
- Matthew 16:24-26, “Then Jesus said to His disciples, “If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me. For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it. For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul?”
- In the above scriptures Jesus tells us been crucified with Him means us deny ourselves then following Him.
- In the Garden of Gethsemane, we see Jesus demonstrate to us how to deny ourselves.
- Matthew 26:39, “He went a little farther and fell on His face, and prayed, saying, “O My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from Me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as You ””
- Being crucified with Christ means submitting our will to God’s will for ourselves.
- For that to be possible we must know what God’s will is so that we can submit our will to His.
- Before we crucify ourselves, we have to know Him.
It is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me
- When the Holy Spirit through Paul says it is no longer I who live; He isn’t saying we become zombies and He decides everything for us.
- What He is saying is, now that we have submitted our will to His, He can live His purpose through our lives.
- ‘I’ usually represents your will, thoughts (mind), and emotions.
The life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God
- The way to live this life is by believing what Jesus has done in you.
- Philemon 1:4-6, “I thank my God, making mention of you always in my prayers,hearing of your love and faith which you have toward the Lord Jesus and toward all the saints, that the sharing of your faith may become effective by the acknowledgment of every good thing which is in you in Christ Jesus.”
- The Holy Spirit is telling us that our faith is made effective when we acknowledge what He has done in us.
- The catch though is before you acknowledge what is in you must first know what is in you.
What has Christ done in me?
- In John 3:3-8, Jesus was speaking to Nicodemus and He said the following.
- Jesus said, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Do not marvel that I said to you, ‘You must be born again.’ The wind blows where it wishes, and you hear the sound of it, but cannot tell where it comes from and where it goes. So is everyone who is born of the Spirit.”
- In the above scripture, Jesus says when someone is born again you won’t be able to tell by looking at them. The experience is an internal one.
- The part that Jesus is talking about is your Spirit.
- The different parts of man
- In 1st Thessalonians 5:23, Paul states that may the Lord keep our spirit, soul and body blameless. This indicates that man is a triune being.
- Ecclesiastes 12:7 states that when we die our body goes back to the ground while our spirit goes back to God who gave it. This confirms that we have a spirit.
- Our spirit consists of intuition, communion, and conscience.
- Our soul consists of the mind (thoughts), will and emotions.
- Our body consists of the five senses.
- 1 Corinthians 9:27
- When you got born again, your Spirit was born again.
How does my Spirit look now that I am born again?
- 1 John 4:13-17, “No one has seen God at any time. If we love one another, God abides in us, and His love has been perfected in us. By this we know that we abide in Him, and He in us, because He has given us of His Spirit. And we have seen and testify that the Father has sent the Son asSavior of the world. Whoever confesses that Jesus is the Son of God, God abides in him, and he in God. And we have known and believed the love that God has for us. God is love, and he who abides in love abides in God, and God in him. Love has been perfected among us in this: that we may have boldness in the day of judgment; because as He is, so are we in this world.”
- My spirit looks just like God because He has perfected my spirit in love, and He is love.
- So, my spirit is perfect like He is perfect.
How do I live the Christian life?
- Now that we know that our spirit is perfect like He is, Philemon tells us to acknowledge that truth.
- I live this life by constantly reminding myself who I am.
- The goal of that is forming Christ in your soul.
- Galatians 4:19, “My little children, for whom I labor in birth again until Christ is formed in you….”
- With my spirit perfect, now I begin to conform my soul to that of Christ.
- Philippians 2:12-13, “Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling; for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for Hisgood pleasure.”
- This is process of renewing the mind. It is something that we will do for eternity (Romans 12:2).
- The more we learn about God, we learn about ourselves and we then change our minds to who we are in Him.